The Grove, Bromsgrove


- Sited at 150 Stourbridge Road, Bromsgrove


- Ran from at least the 1930s to the 1970s


- “We would queue up once a week for our pocket money. And then spend it on sweets!”


- Reportedly there has been a complaint of abuse at the home:

Bromsgrove Standard article Jan 2013

Solicitor's reporting a complaint


- Children at the home may have attended Parkside middle school and South Bromsgrove High


- The Variety club showed films once a month in the playroom


- There were lockers for each child to put their things in the playroom. Each had a blue door


- There were two railway carriages that the children played in


- Some holidays were taken in Torquay (1970s) and Abergele (1950s)

- The Grove was run by the local authority

- The building still stands and is now used for private residences




Worcestershire archives hold official records as listed below:


"Medical Officer's examination books, 1931-1948, and report book, 1931-1944; Visitors' report book, 1934-1947; punishment book, 1930-1947; register of children, 1914-1942; Matron's report book, 1951-1961; children's weights book, 1941-1950; record of daily meals, 1943-1950; admission and discharge books, 1914-1952; day book, 1939-1950, inventory, 1914-1939, and other records, 1940s-1950s relating to Bromsgrove [Children's] Homes (mostly Bromsgrove Cottage Homes but also The Grove)."




NB. The cottage homes on New Road, Bromsgrove were built by Thomas White in 1885 to accommodate 12 adult women.