Place image here

 

Cheriton Cottage Homes 

 

Cheriton Cottage Homes were built in 1888 in Cheriton Street, Cheriton which is to the east of Winchester. Although they were ‘cottage homes’ by name, they were not a fully fledged cottage homes development. There were only three homes and no school or chapel on site.

 

We don't have a date for the closure of the homes but it was certainly after the 1940.

 

A former resident’s memories of the homes can be found here. Ron Butt, who went into the Homes in 1938, remembers having a playground in the Homes and going out to Horn Street School. In June 1940, he recalls, all the children from the Homes were evacuated to South Wales.