Eden's Orphanage, Bolton


Eden and Thwaites was a successful cloth-bleaching company. When James Eden died, he left a sum of money to build the orphanage which was to take his name.


Opened in 1879, it was sited on Thorns Road in Astley Bridge and had classrooms, a swimming baths and an infirmary. In 1951 it was closed as an orphanage as used as the Isis Independent School. 


Most of the orphanage has now been demolished although the gatehouse remains.