This picture is available to buy from our PHOTO SHOP

 

Holy Cross Open Air School, Broadstairs

 

Initially built as a Roman Catholic convent, Holy Cross became an open air school in 1931. It was intended for sick and delicate children and run by nuns.

 

During the Second World War, the building was used as a hospital, not reopening as the open air school until 1947. This move back to its open air purpose was short-lived, however, as it became a Catholic school in 1962.

 

For at least some of its short time as an open air school, it was a boys’ only facility.

Holy Cross Secondary School continued on the site until 1988 when it was closed. The buildings were later demolished.

 

 

Looking for records?

 

The National Archives has some records covering the three years from 1952 to 1955. [external site]