This picture is available to buy from our PHOTO SHOP

 

St Mary's Convalescent Home, Broadstairs

 

This was opened on Stone Road, Broadstairs in 1887 by the Community of the Sisters of the Church (of the Anglican church).It could sleep about 300 children and had a chapel which could seat over 400.

 

This was not the first home of St Mary's however, as it was initially located on Wrotham Road.

 

After the Second World War, the home was less used and in 1958, it moved to a smaller building in Thanet Place. It closed in 1983.

 

A list of the many other convalescent homes in Broadstairs can be found at http://www.stella-maris.org.uk/history1.phtml

 

 

 

 

More about convalescent homes in Kent can be found here.

LOOKING FOR MORE INFORMATION?

 

Thanetonline has an excellent blog about the convalescent home. [external site]

 

The website of the Community of the Sisters of the Church. [external site]

 

The archives of the Community of the Sisters of the Church can be contacted through this link. [external site]